Hair is an indispensable element in both anime and fashion. In anime, hair is often important in making characters unique. Likewise in fashion, hairstyles are necessary tools to creating beautiful, cohesive looks. This is a short post on a particular aspect of hairstyles: volume.
Such gorgeous, luscious hair! I really want to run my fingers through those gorgeous strands and locks.
One important thing to note is that voluminous hair is not about length. Sure, having sufficiently long hair is needed to build volume, but just having long hair is not enough. The distinction is one between length and depth.
Take for example Sawako from Kimi ni Todoke. She has very pretty long black hairs that flow down her back. However, they do not quite have that size and “bounce,” nor are they as layered. 
Now let us look at Sawako’s rival in love, Kurumi (who is obviously the better girl).  The difference is clear. Although Sawako actually has longer hair, Kurumi has much more volume. Such full rich hair gives Kurumi a very luxurious presence. I love her!
Of course, adding volume to hair takes some time and skill. The process involves specific styling and blow drying techniques, appropriate brushes, and good moisturizing shampoo, conditioner, and mousse. I would guess Sawako does not know much about any of this. On the other hand, Kurumi clearly takes really good care of herself.  And it makes her that much more adorable.
- In a earlier post –Lovely Himeko from K-On! – Pygmalion of Minor Characters– I mentioned really liking Wakaouji Ichigo. It is also largely because of her hair.
- Marina makes a great point about Victorique’s hair in the comments.
- I also really like Sawako’s hairstyle even if it is not as voluminous; I am a huge fan of straight fringe and hime cuts. But that is the topic for another post.
- All in jest. While Kurumi is my favorite, I do not think anyone can hate Sawako.
- For the considerably less screentime Kurumi gets, she boasts several hairstyles, which is far more than any other character in Kimi ni Todoke or even in most anime have.