Kuchibiru to Kiss de Tsubuyaite (Whisper with Lips and Kisses) is the sixth installment of the Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke wo (A Kiss for the Petals) yuri visual novel series. Due to recent releases,  I decided to marathon them all. In the past, I have neglected this one for a long time for one reason or another. However, this replay gave me a new appreciation for this game.  In fact, Kuchibiru to Kiss is perhaps among the top three games in this series. It is certainly leagues above the original Sono Hanabira.
Kuchibiru to Kiss de Tsubuyaite revisits the couple from the first game, Yuuna Matsuhara and Nanami Oda. The story begins with a cute scene. Yuuna feeds Nanami some cake that Yuuna had made for her. Many more such episodic events follow. Yuuna finds an excuse to “punish” Nanami when she catches Nanami spacing out while doing a club task. They then proceed to have more sex in Yuuna’s home, on the stairways, and pretty much whenever and wherever they can. The two’s romantic and sexual relationships are firmly established.
Through all these little events, Yuuna and Nanami’s characters really shined. In the original, the two felt like characters from popular yuri manga at the time, albeit with a more ecchi streak. In this one, both girls’ distinct quirks are really played up, and they felt a lot more three dimensional. For instance, Nanami’s wild fantasies spliced throughout the story are nice touches to her character. Furthermore, she is given drive in this game. Nanami actively strives to do her best and live up to the perfection of Yuuna. There is a really adorable scene in which Nanami saves other students from stray dogs even though she is scared herself. She succeeds in doing so with a bit of secret help from Yuuna.
I also love the innocent, perfect, role-model facade Yuuna shows to everyone. It is a fascinating contrast to her extremely ecchi mind and manipulative methods. It is delightful to watch her play around Nanami with fake tears and forceful ways. This woman knows how to get what she wants… And what she wants is a lot of Nanami. Yet, Yuuna is not without weaknesses. Her jealousy becomes an integral part of her personality and the story.
The major plot surrounds two misunderstandings. Nanami falsely thinks that Yuuna will be a foreign exchange student for next year, while Yuuna irrationally believes that there is something going on between another girl, Mai, and Nanami. Yuuna’s jealousy becomes extremely relevant. This insecurity adds a nice dynamic to their relationship. One would expect Yuuna to hold most of the power because of her social status, but because Yuuna is so scared of losing Nanami, the relationship is more equal.
Kuchibiru to Kiss de Tsubuyaite does a lovely job of really exploring Nanami and Yuuna’s character and their romance. It really breaks them away from being just an onee-sama and a tsundere to two very likable and developed personalities. In fact, the two are so cute together that I actually found the urination scene quite heartwarming. 
Peko’s gorgeous art also helps to smooth things out.
As a side note, the sixth really ties the Sono Hanabira series together. Not only does Mai (from Hanabira 3, Hanabira 5, and the anime) have a significant role and Kaede (Hanabira 2, Hanabira 4) make a cameo appearance, their lines are weaved together into the rest of the games. For instance, Nanami hears Mai scream after Reo, which is a line from the third game. Erisu’s (Hanabira 8) future arrival is also hinted when Nanami talks about wanting to speak English as well as the foreign exchange student who is coming next year. Those details are incredibly fun.
- AXYPB has recently released a translation patch for the second game from this series, My Dear Prince. You can find the patch here, and all the Sono Hanabira games here.
- I have said before on various places that this couple and this game is not as exciting. I take that back. My understanding of the script and of Japanese was at a pretty abysmal level back when I first played it. Yuuna and Nanami are comparable in character development to any of the other girls from this series, and their story is just as, if not more, strong.
- Yes, there is a urination scene again. And this time, Yuuna does in fact drink it… Charming, isn’t it?
I should probably mention that my blog is at times intended for an older audience. If you are not comfortable with this, I apologize. You might want to check out my other safer posts (basically any posts not about Sono Hanabira).
Reviews for the other Hanabira
- A Kiss for the Petals | Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke wo
- A Kiss for the Petals – My Dear Prince | Watashi no Ouji-sama
- A Kiss for the Petals – Joined in Love with You | Anata to Koibito Tsunagi
- A Kiss for the Petals – Beloved Photograph | Aishisa no Photograph
- A Kiss for the Petals – The Joy of Loving You | Anata wo Suki na Shiawase
- A Kiss for the Petals – Whisper with a Kiss | Kuchibiru to Kiss de Tsubuyaite
- A Kiss for the Petals – Sweet Enchanting Kiss | Amakute Hoshikute Torokeru Chuu
- A Kiss for the Petals – Petal-Colored Angel | Tenshi no Hanabira Zome
- Amakute Otona no Torokeru Chuu
More information on the Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke wo series